Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Word of the Day

It's become a bit of a running joke at work that I try to learn at least one new word a day.  Today it was 'jumper', as in a sweater or pullover.  Yesterday I was offered a 'chewie'.  My strange look told the person I was baffled, so they showed me a piece of chewing gum.  When your car gets smashed you take it to a panel beater.  And a trolley is a shopping cart, which is kept locked up near the front of the store.  You put in a $1 or $2 coin to unlock it, then your coin is returned when you lock the cart back up.  The purpose is to encourage people to bring their carts back rather than leave them in the parking lot.  Speaking of money there are no pennies here; the smallest bill is a $5.  Coins are denominated between 5 cents and $2.  Another fun one is that 'rubbers' are a required item on a school supply list. So those of you grinning right now should clean up your dirty thoughts with the eraser that was intended :-)  There are heaps more words but I can't fit them all here and it's time for me to take the rubbish out.  The weekly service will pick it up before I'm out of bed in the morning.  But when I wake up I'll have cereal or toast for my brekkie.  Tonight I had lamb chops grilled on the barbie.  Jarrod did a bloody fabulous job on them.  Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Learning Australian English, eh? Always fun learning a new language. Are they boys around to enough Aussies to pick up an accent? If they come home with an Australian accent please record it as they will lose it fast! We hope you don't appear to be a drongo too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    Really enjoying hearing of your experience in Oz and feeling a little homesick. If you do pang for an experience from home remember there is a Costco at Docklands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job you're doing. LeRoy told me to make sure you knew nappies were diapers, not napkins. Napkins would be serviettes. ;0) Tina

    ReplyDelete